No matter what social media channel you use it’s important to experiment and analyze your use of that tool. As a result of testing for my school I realized that we received more engagement on our school’s Facebook page by posting in the evening – presumably while our current and potential students are online doing their homework.
The issue for me is that I don’t want to be on the computer in the evening posting to Facebook. I already schedule some of my tweets so I needed to determine a way to schedule some posts to Facebook. As a result, I’d like to share how to schedule a Facebook post.
Tool Of Choice
I’m a big fan of Hootsuite. The #1 reason iLove Hootsuite is it’s ability to schedule your social media posts. If you haven’t already signed up to use Hootsuite I encourage you to check it out. While Hootsuite does offer a paid version of their tool, you can sign up for free and still schedule tweets and Facebook posts.
Schedule A Facebook Post
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to schedule a post for Facebook using Hootsuite.
1. Find the content that you want to share on Facebook. For this example I’m going to use a great blog post on Copyblogger about creating a great email opt-in page. The link is here: http://www.copyblogger.com/email-landing-page/
2. Go to Hootsuite and enter the link and a personal message in the upper left hand corner. Select the Facebook page where you’d like this post to appear.
3. Click “Shrink” in order to shorten your URL and get the options window. From the options window you can:
- Change the title of the post
- Change the description of the post
- Select the thumbnail that will appear on Facebook with the article
4. Click on the calendar icon and select the date and time you would like the post to appear on Facebook. Click “Done” when finished.
5. All that’s left do is to click “Schedule.” Your post will now appear on the date and time that you selected. See the image below to check out what the post looked like on the SchneiderB.com Facebook Page.
Now It’s Your Turn
Please write a comment if you found this post helpful and let me know if you scheduled any Facebook posts. Also, let me know if you got stuck and have any questions. As always, thanks for reading!