I also saw a print ad for a school and the only contact information listed was the school’s homepage.
Does this sound familiar?
If it does I have a very important question for you – how do you determine the success of your marketing efforts? If you are measuring the success of your marketing efforts by using external proxies like the number of attendees at a specific open house you are most likely losing money as well as prospective students.
Take Your First Step
In order to successfully measure your marketing efforts I encourage you to directly track your next marketing campaign. While there are a number of techniques, that range from the advanced to the basic, to measure your online marketing efforts I would like to suggest a relatively easy yet effective tool to accomplish your measurement goal – the use of a landing page.
Unbouce.com allows you to create a landing page without being an I.T. professional and offers a free version to get you started using the tool with no risk.
Basic Landing Page Set-up
In order to measure your next marketing effort let me offer an example to illustrate the technique using a landing page.
Let’s say that you are going to send a direct mail piece this spring. Rather than push people to your main school’s webpage, which will be hard to measure directly, follow these simple steps:
- Create a landing page using Unbounce with content that is similar or complementary with the content in your direct mail piece.
- Include a form to capture the prospective family’s information either as a registration for an open house or a simple inquiry form.
- Print the URL of the landing page you created in step #1 on the direct mail piece.
- Use Unbounce’s built in analytics to see the number of people that viewed your landing page as well as completed your form created in step #2.
- Determine the effectiveness of your direct mail piece and make decisions about the return-on-investment (ROI) using actual data.
I hope you’ll follow these simple steps to begin down the path toward inbound marketing. Not only will you be using inbound marketing techniques but you will also be able to determine the effectiveness of your current marketing tactics.
Being able to calculate an actual ROI might also give you the data to show your Head of School and Board of Trustees that inbound marketing can be successful at your school.
If you have any questions please let me know by asking them in the comments section below. I would also love to hear about your efforts after utilizing your first landing page.