This is the tenth installment of a series on Instagram aesthetic trends for 2020. Here are the links to the previous posts in this series:
- #1 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers: Treat Your Grid Like Your Homepage
- #3 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers: Curated User Generated Content
- #4 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers: Focus on Authenticity
- #5 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers – Inclusivity
- #6 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers – Photography + Emoji Combo
- #7 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers – Add Video and Motion to Your Grid
- #8 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers – Fine-Line Sketch Look
- #9 Instagram Aesthetic Trend for School Marketers – Designing with Doodles
Carousel posts are becoming increasingly popular on Instagram, especially for showing a collection of related images. Carousel posts (also called multi-image posts) add variety to your Instagram feed and can include videos as well as photographs.
Like Facebook, Instagram Carousel allows you to upload up to 10 photos and/or videos, and each of them can have their own description and call-to-action. They are a great way to increase engagement on Instagram.
Ways School Marketers Can Use Instagram Carousel Posts
Instagram is a great way to promote upcoming school events. Use the Carousel to include Event promotional materials, pictures from last year and even a preview (if you have something interesting to post). Then, you can do a recap on Carousel by posting pictures from the actual event.
Full length videos
In general, if you’re posting a video to your Instagram feed you’re limited to two minutes (or 120 seconds). However, if you want to showcase a video that’s longer than two minutes, consider using a Carousel post. A Carousel post allows you to share up to ten videos in a single posting, which viewers can then swipe through. Chop your video into 10 one-minute clips. You can do this by editing the video from within your phone’s camera roll. From there, save each section as a new clip.
Before and after
Visually demonstrate a change in a student’s performance, classroom, hall display, remodel, gardening project or other school outcome or benefit by giving your audience a chance to see the before and after change.
Promote blog content
Have a blog post coming out soon you can tease on Instagram? Consider using the Carousel feature to preview a blog topic without giving the message away.
Instagram is the perfect social network to highlight your school’s culture. Consider doing a Carousel post that shows teachers, admin and other staff “behind-the-scenes”.
Want more school-related content topics? Check out this article that offers 50 Captivating Blog Topics for Schools.
Parent and alumni testimonials
Consider publishing a weekly Carousel post that highlights positive feedback from parents and alumni. This is a great way to generate more engagement, inquiries and maintain existing relationships with parents.
Carousel posts are a great way to group posts into themes. For example, you could create a group for “Technology In Our School” and post ways kids are using technology for educational purposes. You could do a Carousel post related to volunteers, learning resources or many other topics. This article related to Pinterest board topics lends itself well to themed posts.
Carousel posts can do more than promote an event or topic. They can also tell the story of a student, family, alumni or the back story of your school. Carousels are especially good for building suspense.
Carousels can be used to demonstrate a “how-to” for parents or students. Let’s say there is an especially difficult math assignment that you know most students – and their parents – will struggle with. You could post a step-by-step process of how to solve the problem. There are many other step-by-step instructions you can share in the form of a Carousel post on Instagram.
How to Create an Instagram Carousel Post
Here is a step-by-step guide for creating an Instagram carousel post.
- Start by tapping on the + icon at the bottom of your screen, just like you would with a regular post.
- The next step is to press the SELECT MULTIPLE icon on the right (it looks like two squares on top of each other)
- Go to Library (iOS) or Gallery (Android) and select the images (or videos) you want in the order you want them to display
- If you want to add a filter to each individual image, add it next
- Click on Next to go to the Caption where you can add your description and call-to-action
- You can tag a different brand, person(s) and location in the caption of each image
- If desired, you can add the post to your Stories
Instagram Carousel posts are easy to create and are a great way to engage your community. Currently, users are limited to 10 images or videos per Carousel post. Use those ten posts to your full advantage but be careful to not overwhelm people either. Remember the main purpose of social media marketing is to entice viewers to want to learn more about your school, hopefully by clicking over to your website and filling out an inquiry form.
Have you used Carousel posts for your Instagram school marketing efforts? How well did they work for you? Please share in the comments below…