In preparation for the SchneiderB VirCon5, I’m highlighting the ten school marketing experts who will be presenting on November 4, 2017. Learn More about the VirCon5.
This is 10 Questions with Penny Rogers, IAP-L. Penny Rogers is a Consultant with Independent School Management in Wilmington, Delaware.
1. What is your session title for the VirCon5?
The title is: “Protect Your School’s Brand Image: Social Media Management.”
2. What will the attendees learn/know after watching your session?
One of the most frequently asked questions I receive is how to handle all of the social media accounts that are created by students, parents, clubs, and team, on behalf of your school. This session will provide best practices and policies for streamlining and managing your school’s myriad of social media pop-up accounts.
3. What is your favorite social media channel and why?
Instagram – It’s still a “happy” space and is less cluttered with news and politics. Plus, my teenage children are both in that space so it’s a nice way to connect with them in their world.
4. What is one marketing goal that you hope to accomplish during the 17-18 school year?
As a consultant, I love it when a client school has an “aha!” marketing moment – whether it’s related to message, process, or just a new idea. My goal is to help as many schools as possible achieve that “aha!” moment this year.
5. What is your favorite marketing piece of advice for schools?
As a school, you must be clear in messaging who your school really is to the marketplace. Mission informs the market, NOT the other way around.
6. What is your favorite marketing book?
UnMarketing: Everything Has Changed and Nothing is Different by Scott Stratten
7. What is something that people might be surprised to know about you?
I started my career working in sports public relations, including for the University of Texas, the Milwaukee Brewers, the Minnesota Vikings, and the U.S. Synchronized Swimming Olympic Team (yes, really!).
8. Kindle or Actual Book?
Kindle because I can carry a “stack” of books with me when I’m on the road.
9. iPhone or Android?
iPhone. I’m Mac across all platforms.
10. What is one App that you can’t live without?
Dashlane. It’s a password keeper that syncs with my phone and my laptop. My brain is much less cluttered now that I don’t have to remember every crazy letter/number combination.