During my recent interview with Guy Kawasaki for edSocialMedia he mentioned that ” the ‘whole world’ isn’t on Facebook” and that he needed a website, in addition to a Facebook Page, to maximize the marketing impact for his new book, Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions. While I completely understand Guy’s position, as of January 2011 there are 600 million people on Facebook according to Wikipedia and as a result a Facebook Fan Page for your school is a necessity.
Once you’ve created your Facebook Fan Page it becomes a blank canvas and the issue of what to post for your school can become a bit intimidated. In order to help you overcome your fear I’ve created a list of 53 things to post on your school’s Facebook fan page.
I’ve used my iPhone4 to take some great photos as I walk around campus in order to give our Fans an unfiltered view to day-t0-day campus life.
- Photo of the day
- Picture of class
- Picture of school assembly
- Picture at lunch
- Picture of nurses at work
- Picture of Lower School Class
- Picture of Middle School Quote of the Day
- Picture of Senior School students relaxing
- Picture of campus on a sunning day
- Picture of morning drop-off
- Picture of flyers around campus
- Picture from a sporting event
- Picture of food at lunch
- Picture of staff members at work
- Picture of backstage during a performance
- Picture of alumni
- Picture from school archives
- Picture from past graduating classes
- Picture of student artwork
Once again, I life to walk around campus and use my iPhone4 to take short (30-60 second) videos of campus life which I post unedited.
- Video of Lower School Assembly
- Video from faculty meetings
- Video from Senior School Dodge Ball fundraiser
- Video of play practice
- Video of students getting their lunch
- Video of sports team
- Video of Middle School Faculty vs. Students basketball game
- Video from inside the library
I like to use our Facebook Fan Page as a resource for school information that our fans might not see posted other places. This is also a great way to make your Fans aware of your other social media channels.
- Post recent schools news
- Post random sections of the official school website
- Post sports schedules
- Post lunch menu
- Post parent information
- Post location of student assignments
- Post college matriculation list
- Post course selection guide
- Post information about the annual fund
- Post alumni events
- Post alumni information
- Post alumni news
- Post important Tweets
- Post blog posts
I would like our Fans to think of our Facebook Fan Page as a resource for local information and current events.
- Post school news reported in the local newspaper
- Post local news related to the community
- Post local current events
- Post local educational information
- Post information from the local public library
- Post information from local magazines
- Post information from local TV stations
- Post local government information
I like posting national educational resources to help our school to be thought of as an educational authority.
- Post national educational issues
- Post educational articles from national news sources, i.e. NY Times
- Post information from national organizations, i.e. NAIS
- Post questions from educational forums
Although I’ve listed 53 things to post to your Facebook Fan Page please think of these items as only suggestions. I want you to take these and let your imagination run wild. Please help extend this list by posting your additions in the comments section below.