After a long conversation with a friend about inbound marketing she ended by asking me two questions: 1. “Did you major in marketing in college?; and 2. “How do you know this stuff?”
My quick answer was no – I didn’t major in marketing in college but after some reflection it occurred to me that if I had majored in marketing I wouldn’t have learned the principles of inbound marketing. Why? Because when I was in college inbound marketing didn’t exist and the prevailing wisdom of the day was to spend as much money as possible on outbound marketing.
I’ve spent the last three years learning about inbound marketing from a number of sources. I’ve read numerous books, listened to many podcasts, read hundreds of blogs, and watched countless webinars. If you’re just getting starting with inbound marketing for your school let me suggest you start with my favorite books, blogs, and podcast to help you learn more about inbound marketing.
Where Did I Learn About Inbound Marketing?
There are three books that you should read to learn more about inbound marketing:
- Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs (New Rules Social Media Series) – This book is written by the founders of Hubspot, Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah, and is the bible of inbound marketing. I’ve read this book three times already and reference it frequently in my work.
- Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series) – Another favorite of mine that extends the discussion past the theory of inbound marketing and does a great job of discussing the specifics of creating content.
- Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (& Other Social Networks) – I’m just finishing this book but am really impressed with it’s content and specific help relating to using social networks as part of your inbound marketing strategy.
In addition to reading books I also read a number of blogs daily and recommend that you make these a part of your morning routine:
- Inbound Internet Marketing Blog – Written by the people at Hubspot and a constant source of information.
- TopRank Online Marketing Blog – Written by Lee Odden covering all topics related to inbound marketing.
- Copyblogger – Their tagline says it all, “Online marketing advice that works.”
- Social Media Examiner – Specific information about using social media for marketing.
- Social Media Explorer – Contains a ton of information about social media marketing, online communications, conversational marketing, digital marketing, public relations, community building and branding.
Finally, I enjoy listening to a number of podcasts but since I’ve already given you a lot of homework I would recommend that you listen to just one: The Duct Tape Marketing Podcast by John Jantsch. John covers a lot of information but focuses on marketing for small business which I’ve found translates very easily to schools.
Now It’s Your Turn
I’ve written you a prescription for learning more about inbound marketing by sharing some of my favorite resources. Now I’d like to hear what you’ve found helpful in learning more about inbound marketing.
Please share your favorite resource by posting them in the comments below.