When I began SchneiderB.com four years ago one of the blogs that I consistently read and modeled was Chuck’s Corner written by Chuck Will.
Although I’m excited for you to hear my conversation with Chuck it’s also bittersweet for me because Chuck’s Corner but will end this year when Chuck retires from Proctor Academy.
For 15 years Chuck has taught us about Proctor Academy, boarding school, blogging, photography, and ultimately, how to tell a great story.
I really enjoyed my conversation with Chuck and know you will as well.
Congratulations Chuck and thank you for all that you’ve done!
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- How did Chuck start blogging before blogging was even a term, especially in the independent school world?
- Did Chuck’s Corner start with a mission?
- How was Chuck’s Corner first received?
- Was this blog designed for entertainment or information?
- What voice did Chuck use when writing Chuck’s Corner?
- Did Chuck have editorial review for Chuck’s Corner?
- What happens when you don’t have editorial review?
- Has Chuck’s mission changed with the blog over the 15 years that you’ve done it?
- How and why did you start using more photographs?
- Hear how Chuck’s background in the admission office helped shape his thinking about content on Chuck’s Corner
- Was the shift from words to photos intentional or organic?
- How does Chuck think about content?
- What is “Bottom-Up” content?
- How does Chuck think about branding in Chuck’s Corner?
- Was he a photographer before Chuck’s Corner?
- What does Chuck do to his photos to give them the Chuck’s Corner look?
- Chuck shares some photographic tips
- How does Chuck anticipate his next topic
- Does he have an editorial calendar?
- What Chuck would do if he was starting a blog at a school
- What metrics does Chuck use to gauge the success of the blog?
- What does his family think of Chuck’s Corner?
- What happens to Chuck’s Corner after Chuck retires?
- How do you end a blog that has over 75,000 readers?
- Is there anything Chuck would change if he had to do it all over again?
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Adobe Lightroom
- Nikon Coolpix p510
- Rob Norman – Turnaround Marketing
- Episode 8 – Branding for Schools with Liza Fisher Norman and Rob Norman
I also encourage you to check out Jay Goulart’s blog post about Chuck’s Corner – 15 Years Observing Life on the Corner
Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Internet Marketing for Schools podcast, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe. And if you listen on Stitcher, please click here to rate and review this show.
What would you like to ask Chuck after 15 years of blogging?