One of the questions that I’m frequently asked is do I have a school marketing plan that I would be willing to share?
Since the beginning of SchneiderB.com 10 years ago, I have always been open and transparent with the inbound marketing and social media marketing techniques that I utilize at my school.
The one exception has been our school marketing plan.
The reason for my hesitation in sharing our school marketing plan is not that we are doing something top secret or proprietary – the reason I have been hesitant is that I believe each school marketing plan is unique to the school that is implementing it. Each plan should be unique because each school has different goals, different internal expertise, and different resources – combine these factors and one school really shouldn’t mimic another school’s marketing plan by simply reproducing their plan.
The Process is Key
I’m sharing this with you because I’m in the beginning stages of revamping our school marketing plan at Sewickley Academy for the 2015-2016 admission year and I’m willing to share my process, from beginning to end, to have you complete your school marketing plan along with me. My thought is that if you follow along with my process you will end up with a school marketing plan which will be appropriate and specific for your school.
Why Am I Doing This?
I’m sharing my process for two reasons:
1. I sincerely enjoying sharing and teaching what I do for the benefit of all independent schools. I believe in the power and importance of independent schools and want our institutions to be successful.
2. The second reason is that I’m looking for accountability and encouragement from the SchneiderB.com community. If you’re like me, summer is a busy time for our admission office and I don’t feel like I’ve had too much downtime. The last thing I want to do is jump right back into the mix on the first day of school – but I have to. We all have to. By challenging all of you to join me we can do this together and, in the end, do great work for our schools.
School Marketing Plan Challenge
So here’s my challenge – join me in following my process as I create the school marketing plan for Sewickley Academy.
I will be posting my process in a series of blog posts which will outline the actions that I’m currently doing and ask you to do the same. My goal is to have a fully flushed out school marketing plan by Oct 1.
[callout]Dates: I typically like to think about our school marketing plan running from October 1 until September 1. We start school on the day after Labor Day and our summer has increasingly been very busy which really doesn’t allow us to have a ton of downtime to reflect, analyze, and plan for the following year. I use September to accomplish these tasks and it’s the reason our plan follows these dates. If your admission cycle is different please feel free to adjust the dates accordingly.[/callout]
How It Works
1. Leave a comment below stating to the world that you’re in the challenge.
2. Join my SchneiderB Bloc Facebook Group for accountability and encouragement.
3. If you haven’t done so already, sign up for email updates when I post a new step of the process on the blog and receive my free eBook, The SchneiderB Social Media System for Schools.
4. Add your school’s name and website on the School Marketing Plan Challenge page.
5. During the first weeks of October, we’ll evaluate to see what worked and what didn’t work. I may even highlight a few success stories.
6. By the way, all of this is completely free!
So. Are you in? I sincerely hope you’ll join me in this challenge. Share the fact that you are going to join me by posting in the comments below.